The Thomas family

The Thomas family
From left to right, Tania, Dave, me and Corina

Wednesday, 1 December 2010

End of week 2

Yep, I've been here for two whole weeks now.  I'm still feeling pretty good, despite the feeling of having a washing machine for a stomach.

It's been quite a busy day in some ways as I have been on the drip for a total of 8 hours.  I suppose it's not as if I had anything else to do!  As well as the cyclosporine I needed 2 bags of potassium and one bag of platelets to make up for the undesirable losses that are inevitable.  I also had an injection of growth factor to stimulate the growth of my new white blood cells.  This is good news.

I hope that all of you who were off school or work today because of the snow had a nice relaxing time, even if you still had to do some work.  I am jealous of the fun side of the snow, I quite fancy making a snow man.

I forgot to mention I was visited by one of the Harley Street psychologist's yesterday.  It's all part of the service, although not as much fun as the complimentary therapists.  I managed to keep her off the "and how does that make you feel?" type questions and chatted about the girls, the Kindle (it's causing quite a lot of curiosity) and lots of other subjects.  It's good that the service is offered but I don't feel in need of it at the moment.

I hear the sound of an apron being donned outside my door so I'm about to be visited for another set of Obs (observations) or meds so I'll sign off now.


  1. Hi Cathy
    I am sitting in Adrienne's lounge while she catches a nap and Robin is making Christmas cards (!) He managed to go into school yesterday, although I declined to take him in for the 6:50 a.m. swimming session. I did drive later in the day as the local roads were passable, but snow was falling most of yesterday and all of last night. Both Robin's and Adrienne's schools closed early yeasterday and are closed today. Robin's school have already decided that they are closed to day pupils tomorrow as well as we are due a big freeze tonight. They have over 230 boarders there so they are still open for them. They are pretty well organised and Robin has had work set over the internet.
    It is very quiet,no cars going along the road at all, my car has 9 - 12 inches over it.
    Good to hear that all is going so well with the treatment, I know what it is like to be making best friends with the bathroom so you have ,my sympathy.
    The dogs really like the snow although Merlin is a little confused when he tries to fetch snowballs. Mali insists on staying out in the garden until she looks like a reverse dalmation.
    Are you seeing the girls today? If you are, please tell them Robin says hi.
    Last night I dug out the book about Rheedham Park and went for a trip down memory lane. It includes a contribution from Cathy V's dad.
    Better go now, time to rescue the cards from Robin

  2. Hi Cathy,

    Can't believe its almost weekend again and I have only just been able to sit down to this computer! Where does time go?! As you may well know, we have been a little snowed in this week, here in Orpington.I have set off to work on Tues at half eight, with Tony driving me ( as he thought it would be an outing for him:), hit the M25 and then the fun started. We spent 8 hours.....yes, eight....driving to the Dartford Tunnel and back home, via Bean village, Longfield, Darenth, Farningham, Eynsford and Otford, the only clear(ish) roads from traffic. Very picturesque villages indeed, but not so in a snow blizzard. Cars stranded everywhere in front of us, the only way we could move forward was if we pushed cars up teh hills or out of the way..... my arm is still recovering..... We now have a good two feet of snow in the garden and front of the house.Managed to go out for a walk yesterday and today, but before you envy , let me tell you, it was cooooold.......brewwwwww...Unfortunately I have managed to divert my office phone to my mobile which meant business-almost-as usual.I expect tomorrow is another day at home as the snow is not going anywhere. Anyway, I hope you are feeling ok today as no entry:(..... I'm sorry it has taken me so long to sit down to talk to you..We are praying for you and trust you'll have the much needed strengths for each day.
    It was lovely to see Dave and the girls last Saturday, we really look forward to seeing you soon, too. I don't expect Dave was able to see you today, or the girls, as no trains seems to be going anywhere. Hopefully we'll catch up with them tomorrow on the phone, and perhaps you , too, at some point, when you feel up to having a chat.
    Anyway, have a good night,and a good day, as you might only be reading this tomorrow.Lots of love to you and much prayers. Eniko and Tony xx

  3. Dear Cathy,
    It is good to hear your treatment is going well. The husband of one of my students is currently undergoing bmt treatment on your floor, but he spends a lot of time at his flat nearby. His name is Paul de la Grange and his wife is Ann. If you are up and about and bump into him hopefully you will be able to start up a conversation (about bridge? or Bath?).
    Well, I am sure you are very aware of the dreadful weather we are all experiencing. I saw the pictures of Orpington Station and its non-moving trains on the news tonight. We don't have too much snow just now but we will wait and see what tomorrow brings. I hope this does not have an adverse impact on our cruising plans! (next cruise starts Dec 14th).
    Keep warm and keep your spirits up. We are all thinking of you,
    Love Christine and family x