The Thomas family

The Thomas family
From left to right, Tania, Dave, me and Corina

Tuesday 1 March 2011

It's been quiet

OK, apologies for not updating for two weeks, even though I said I would try to.  It has been very quiet and I've just not had anything to report - the rash has been reasonably well behaved and I've had no phone calls from the hospital to tell me to change my drugs so what did I have to say?

Anyway, I did have an appointment yesterday so will give you an update now.  One of the main points is that my regular blood counts have dropped a little, but not to a worrying level.  This is due to me no longer taking any steroids which were boosting some counts.  I have been feeling more tired and easily exhausted in the last couple of weeks so it is a relief to realise that there is a reason for this.  I'll have to build up my strength under my own steam now rather than with the help of steroids! 

Also, they had the results of the Chimerase test which measures how much of my blood is my old stuff and how much is the donor's.  I'm delighted to report that it is all the donor's, which is a very good thing.  My blood is now officially A Negative when I was previously O Positive!  It's a strange thought that I will spend the rest of my life with different DNA in my bone marrow and blood compared with the rest of my body.

Finally, I have to report a little thing and apologise to my family who are fed up with hearing about it.  I was actually complimented on the length of my eyelashes the other day!  For someone who has always had short and nondescript eyelashes this is a real treat!  Sadly, this is due to the Cyclosporin so will only be temporary but it is good while it lasts.  I can also say that I am no longer blond.  The hair that is regrowing is definitely much darker (if you ignore the grey) and I gather that is likely to be permanent.  I might have to consider getting it coloured for the first time in my life.  I'll post a photo soon, when I am feeling brave enough.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, so this means when you go to the gym to start getting fit again you can bat your new extra long eyelashes at the hunks. Watch out Dave!
    Love Lynn and Dale xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy

    Glad all is well and ok. Got Gemma's secondary school results for September - She has got Bishop Justus we are all very pleased for her and I hope she does her best (that is all I ask from her.

    See you soon

    Love

    Katrina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina

    Good news about Gemma and Bishop Justus. She should enjoy herself there, it's a great school.

    I hope your mum is continuing to do well.

    Speak soon
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy,

    I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you. After reading your blog I was thinking "'Chimerase', where have I heard that before?"...I'm terribly embarrassed to admit it was not something I learnt at uni - it was in that Tom Cruise film, Mission Impossible II I think?! Somebody was trying to take over the world with it; the usual storyline.

    Do you know what I am very glad to hear about? Your lovely brunette locks! We do have more fun by the way, despite what the urban myth tells us. :)

    Lots of love,

    Heather (MacFarlane) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a note to say hi and congrats on the good progress, it must be a real relief to get such good news after so long living with the contidtion and being treated. Hope your energy picks up soon, hopefully in time for the summer, boy we could do with some warmth. I passed last terms assignments, so now onto this terms ones......finding it a struggle. Takecare and see yoy soon, lve Linda

    ReplyDelete